- VxWorks is the first and only RTOS with support for C++17, Boost, Python, and Rust collection of technologies.
- New LLVM-based infrastructure enables support for broad set of modern and productive tools and frameworks.
- Latest release brings the ease of desktop, enterprise, and cloud-native development to embedded.
Wind River®, a global leader in delivering software to the intelligent edge, today announced the latest release of its industry-leading real-time operating system (RTOS) VxWorks®, which has been enabling the security, safety, and deterministic performance of embedded applications for more than 30 years. Over these three-plus decades, VxWorks has continually evolved to meet the changing needs of software developers. The latest release redefines embedded software development with new capabilities and industry firsts to drive greater business value, innovation, and productivity.
As the industry rapidly adapts to address the automated to autonomous transformation, and to attract a new generation of developers trained with cloud-native skills, there’s demand for a more modern development approach that enables engineers to use today’s mainstream tools and programming languages for innovating. VxWorks now empowers developers of all backgrounds with popular programming languages and libraries, along with cloud-based development tools and infrastructures to create a new era of mission-critical applications that require the highest levels of security and safety.
Bringing the ease of desktop, enterprise, and cloud-native development to embedded, the latest release of VxWorks includes the following:
- First and only real-time operating system to support C++17, Boost, Python, and Rust collection of technologies, along with continued support for languages like Ada and SPARK
- New LLVM-based infrastructure that enables support for a broad set of modern and productive tools and frameworks
- New open source board support packages (BSPs) such as Raspberry Pi and TI Sitara AM65x for quick prototyping and flexibility of choice
- OpenSSL 1.1.1 for the most up-to-date cryptography libraries
“Next generation design goals for autonomous and intelligent systems require new technologies for optimized development,” said Chris Rommel, executive vice president, VDC Research. “Just as important, however, is the need to align development platforms with the evolving skillsets of today’s engineers. Building on its long-established foundation serving mission-critical systems, Wind River’s new release of VxWorks addresses both of these issues for next generation system development.”
“Demonstrating our commitment to RTOS innovation, Wind River is disrupting and redefining the embedded development paradigm with VxWorks, making development simpler, thereby driving more productivity,” said Michel Genard, vice president of product, Wind River. “Today’s RTOS must embrace modern development practices; this means being compatible with popular frameworks, languages, and methodologies being used today by developers, without compromises on security, safety, performance, and reliability.”
Complementing VxWorks is Wind River Labs, which offers access to VxWorks–compatible new technologies and collaborative software projects, proof-of-concepts, open source integrations, and prerelease and experimental software—including ROS 2, OpenCV, and IoT SDKs for public cloud providers, among others.
More information on the latest release of VxWorks is available at www.windriver.com/announces/vxworks.