One drop-in replacement GMOV™ Component solves lifespan, safety and reliability issues of MOVs alone.
Metal Oxide Varistors (MOVs) are popular overvoltage protection devices proven effective in safeguarding AC/DC power line applications against unstable electrical service swells, switching and lightning voltage transients. However, MOVs are susceptible to degradation and failure issues in harsh and uncontrolled environment applications. Failures are caused by thermal runaway conditions which can also produce fire hazards. Understanding these potential problems, designers many times have to include additional fusing or thermal cutoff devices for safety. Bourns has engineered a longer life, highly reliable overvoltage protection replacement solution. The company’s continued commitment to helping reduce part count and deliver space-saving components has led to the development its new GMOV™ products. The GMOV™ component integrates Bourns® patented, space-saving gas discharge tube (GDT) with FLAT® technology with its high-quality MOV technology in one innovative hybrid device.
Bourns® GMOV™ Components:
- Reduces likelihood of degradation/catastrophic failure from transient surges or temporary overvoltage conditions exceeding an MOV’s maximum rated value
- Overcomes the limitations of standard MOVs, TMOVs and more costly higher voltage rated MOVs
- Is an easy drop-in replacement offered in 14 and 20 mm size standard MOV packages
- Features low leakage to mitigate damage due to watt loss heating
- Provides higher levels of safety against extended voltage threats compared to MOVs alone
- Is UL 1449 Type 5 rated and RoHS compliant*
* RoHS3 Directive 2015/863 Amendments of Annex II on March 31, 2015.