STMicroelectronics have launched the STEVAL-MKIT02V1 MEMS sensors’ sample kit for industrial applications which includes 4 different MEMS sensor adapter boards to help designers easily evaluate and speed up time to market. The kit can be used to evaluate the IIS2MDC 3-axis digital output Magnetometer, the IIS2DH 3-axis digital accelerometer, the ISM330DLC iNEMO 6DoF inertial module and the IIS3DHHC 3-axis digital inclinometer.
The evaluation kit contains 4 adaptor boards as follows:
The adapter boards offer an effective solution for fast system prototyping and device evaluation within the user’s applications. The boards can be evaluated in stand-alone mode by simply connecting an I2C cable or in the case of the IIS3DHHC device where an SPI connector is present.
STEVAL-MKI185V1 Adapter board for IIS2MDC 3-axis digital output Magnetometer overview
The IIS2MDC is a high-accuracy, ultra-low-power 3-axis digital magnetic sensor. The IIS2MDC has a magnetic field dynamic range up to ±50 gauss and includes an I2C serial bus interface that supports standard, fast mode, fast mode plus, and high-speed (100 kHz, 400 kHz, 1 MHz, and 3.4 MHz) and an SPI serial standard interface. The device can be configured to generate an interrupt signal for magnetic field detection and is available in a plastic land grid array package (LGA) and is guaranteed to operate over an extended temperature range from -40 °C to +85 °C.
- 3 magnetic field channels
- Up to ±50 gauss magnetic dynamic range
- 16-bit data output
- SPI/I2C serial interfaces
- Analog supply voltage 1.71 V to 3.6 V
- Selectable power mode/resolution
- Single measurement mode up to 150 Hz
- Support for hard-iron compensation
- Programmable interrupt generator
- Embedded self-test and temperature sensor
STEVAL-MKI168V1 Adapter board for IIS2DH – 3-axis digital accelerometer overview
The IIS2DH is an ultra-low-power high-performance three-axis linear accelerometer with digital I2C/SPI serial interface standard output, the device has user-selectable full scales of ±2g/±4g/±8g/±16g and is capable of measuring accelerations with output data rates from 1 Hz to 5.3 kHz.
The IIS2DH can be configured to generate interrupt signals by two independent inertial wake-up/free-fall events as well as by the position of the device itself, in addition the self-test capability allows the user to check the functionality of the sensor in the final application. The IIS2DH is available in a small thin plastic land grid array package (LGA) and is guaranteed to operate over an extended temperature range from -40 °C to +85 °C.
- Wide supply voltage, 1.71 V to 3.6 V
- Independent IOs supply (1.8 V) and supply voltage compatible
- Ultra-low power consumption down to 2 μA
- ±2g/±4g/±8g/±16g selectable full scales
- I2C/SPI digital output interface
- 3 operating modes: low-power, normal, high-resolution mode
- 2 independent programmable interrupt generators for free-fall and motion detection
- 6D/4D orientation detection
- Motion detection & free-fall detection
- “Sleep-to-wake” and “return-to-sleep” functions
- Embedded FIFO, self-test and temperature sensor
STEVAL-MKI182V2 Adapter board for ISM330DLC – iNEMO 6DoF inertial module overview
The ISM330DLC is a system-in-package featuring a high-performance 3D digital accelerometer and 3D digital gyroscope tailored for Industry 4.0 applications
The STMicroelectronics family of MEMS sensor modules all leverage ST’s robust and mature manufacturing processes already used for the production of micromachined accelerometers and gyroscopes. The various sensing elements are manufactured using specialized micromachining processes, while the IC interfaces are developed using CMOS technology that allows the design of a dedicated circuit which is trimmed to better match the characteristics of the sensing element.
In the ISM330DLC the sensing element of the accelerometer and of the gyro are implemented on the same silicon die, thus guaranteeing superior stability and robustness, the device has a full-scale acceleration range of ±2/±4/±8/±16 g and an angular rate range of ±125/±250/±500/±1000/±2000 dps. Delivering high accuracy and stability with ultra-low power consumption (0.75 mA in high-performance, combo mode) enables, also in the industrial domain, long-lasting battery-operated applications.
The ISM330DLC includes a dedicated configurable signal processing path with low latency, low noise and dedicated filtering specifically intended for control loop stability. Data from this dedicated signal path can be made available through an auxiliary SPI interface, configurable for both the gyroscope and accelerometer. High-performance, high-quality, small size and low power consumption together with high robustness to mechanical shock makes the ISM330DLC the preferred choice of system designers for the creation and manufacturing of versatile and reliable products.
The ISM330DLC is available in a plastic, land grid array (LGA) package.
- 3D accelerometer with selectable full scale: ±2/±4/±8/±16 g
- 3D gyroscope with selectable full scale: ±125/±250/±500/±1000/±2000 dps
- Analog supply voltage: 1.71 V to 3.6 V
- SPI & I²C serial interface with main processor data synchronization
- Dedicated gyroscope output chain with low latency, low noise and dedicated low-pass filters for control loop stability (OIS and other stabilization applications)
- Auxiliary SPI serial interface for independent, low-noise low-latency data output for gyroscope and accelerometer
- Ultra-low power consumption for both accelerometer and gyroscope enabling long-lasting battery-operated applications: 0.5 mA in combo normal mode and 0.75 mA in combo high-performance mode
- Smart FIFO up to 4 kbyte
- Smart embedded functions and interrupts: tilt detection, free-fall, wakeup, 6D/4D orientation, click and double-click
- Sensor hub feature to efficiently collect data from additional external sensors
- Embedded hard, soft ironing for external magnetic sensor corrections
- Embedded temperature sensor
- Embedded self-test both for gyroscope and accelerometer
- High shock survivability
- Extended operating temperature range (-40°C to +85°C)
STEVAL-MKI186V1 Adapter board for IIS3DHHC – 3-axis digital accelerometer overview
The IIS3DHHC is an ultra-low noise, high-stability three-axis linear accelerometer, the device has a full scale of ±2.5 g and is capable of providing the measured accelerations to the application through an SPI 4-wire digital interface.
The sensing element is manufactured using a dedicated micromachining process developed by STMicroelectronics to produce inertial sensors and actuators on silicon wafers, the IC interface is manufactured using a CMOS process that allows a high level of integration to design a dedicated circuit which is trimmed to better match the characteristics of the sensing element.
The IIS3DHHC is available in a high-performance (low-stress) ceramic cavity land grid array (CC LGA) package and can operate within a temperature range of -40 °C to +85 °C.
- 3-axis, ±2.5 g full-scale
- Ultra-low noise performance: 45 µg/√Hz
- Excellent stability over temperature (<0.4 mg/°C) and time
- 16-bit data output
- SPI 4-wire digital output interface
- Embedded FIFO (depth 32 levels)
- Embedded temperature sensor
- 12-bit temperature data output
- High shock survivability
- Extended operating temperature range (-40 °C to +85 °C)
These MEMS sensors have all been designed specifically with industrial applications in mind and are included in STMicroelectronics 10 years longevity commitment program, which assures continuity and stability of supply for industrial applications requiring long-term product availability.
For a more in-depth evaluation, STMicroelectronics have also produced a motherboard based on the STM32F401VET6 microcontroller which functions as a bridge between the sensor adapter boards and a PC running ST’s graphical user interface (GUI) or X-NUCLEO system board that is the standard ST evaluation tool.
Anglia are offering customers a FREE STEVAL-MKIT02V1 MEMS sensors’ sample kit for industrial applications from STMicroelectronics, please fill in the form below to register your interest now.